Monday, November 22, 2010
Monday Morning Meanderings
I am going to be busy the next week, trying to write and finalize over 140 prospect profiles of Twins minor leaguers for my 2011 Twins Prospect Handbook. It’s a lot of fun doing some research and reading through a lot of scouting reports I’ve accumulated, but it is rather time-consuming, so bear with me… Here are a few quick notes, followed by a bunch of other Twins blogs for you to peruse:
· On Friday, the Twins announced that they were adding four players to their 40 man roster. RHP David Bromberg, Outfielders Joe Benson and Rene Tosoni, and 1B Chris Parmelee were added. I think there is a reasonable chance that RH RP Kyle Waldrop is selected by some team, but I think that the player the Twins would miss the most if they lose him would be 2B Steve Singleton, who I think has the type of pop in his bat that we have not seen from Twins second baseman.
· If you are a fan of the Twins minor leagues, you’ll want to check out Friday night’s special edition of Twins Minor League Weekly. Travis Aune and I co-hosted the 100 minute show. We interviewed David Bromberg, and then talked about the 40 man roster decisions, the minor league signings, the Arizona Fall League, Twins prospects in the Winter Leagues, some Twins topics, and we each gave our current Top 10 Twins Prospect lists. It was a lot of fun, and didn’t see like it was that long.
· On Saturday morning, I joined Fanatic Jack on the Dez Says Twins Podcast. As you can imagine, Jack and I have an ability to get on each other’s nerves and put together some quality arguments on various Twins topics. It was a lot of fun though, for sure. Also, Adam Foster from Project Prospect called in and talked about Twins Prospects for a good 20 minutes.
· Speaking of podcasts, the SethSpeaks.net Weekly Minnesota Twins Podcast on Tuesday night should be very entertaining. Baseball America’s John Manuel will be one guest to talk about his/BA’s Top Ten Twins Prospects. Their list will be posted on Tuesday morning. You’ll definitely want to get your questions in for him. And, then Danny Valencia will be on the podcast again. We haven’t had him on a podcast since the beginning of spring training, so it will be great to catch up and ask him about his impressive rookie campaign which saw him finish 3rd in Rookie of the Year voting. We’ll try to have time for Twins topics and rumors, as well. So, if you’re able, be sure to check out this week’s podcast.
· And, finally, on Wednesday, I’ll be posting an annual Thanksgiving blog. Our good friend and Twinkie Town’s minor league guru, Roger Dehring, has sent me his 2010 Twins minor league all-star team with his thoughts. I’ll add some of my notes and comments to his blog and then let people enjoy.
· Finally, Aaron Gleeman tweeted on Sunday morning that the Twins have signed Minnesotan Andy Baldwin to a minor league contract. The 27 year old was the 5th round pick of the Phillies in 2004, but he has been in the Mariners system since 2006. Baldwin has spent the past three season with the Mariners AAA-affiliate in Tacoma where he has gone 25-23 with a 4.73 ERA. He can be a starter or pitch out of the bullpen, and he continues the Twins efforts to bring more veterans to the AAA roster.
· Aaron Gleeman posted several Twins Topics today.
· Over the Baggy posted a lot of Twins Topics too.
· Erin from Twinkie Talk asks, “Who Needs Dan Uggla when we’ve got Luke Hughes?”
· K-Bro has several notes from the weekend as well.
· Andrew from Off the Mark asks if anyone Still thinks that the Twins are cheap?
· He’s also baffled by the Twins decision not to add Kyle Waldrop to the 40 man roster.
· Sean from Hitting the Foul Pole asks Who is Tsuyoshi Nishioka and discusses the posting process, what it might take and more.
· Knuckleballs looks at Shortstop and compares/contrasts JJ Hardy and Tsuyoshi Nishioka.
· And, I would certainly hope that everyone has bookmarked NoDak Twins Fan Blog. Lots of updates. Lots of links.
· Nick Nelson asks if the Twins should consider Brandon Webb.