Wednesday, May 27, 2009
Discussion Question: AL 1B
In yesterday’s Live Chat someone asked me to rank my top three AL First Basemen. Initial thought was that it was an easy question. However, the more you think about it, they more difficult the answer to that question is.
Here are some of the top contenders:
· Justin Morneau, Minnesota Twins
· Mark Teixeira, New York Yankees
· Kevin Youklis, Boston Red Sox
· Carlos Pena, Tampa Bay Rays
· Miguel Cabrera, Detroit Tigers
Those are the top contenders, in my mind, but would any of these be up for consideration in your mind?
· Aubrey Huff, Baltimore Orioles
· Paul Konerko, Chicago White Sox
· Kendry Morales, LA Angels of Anaheim
· Lyle Overbay, Toronto Blue Jays
· Billy Butler or Mike Jacobs, Kansas City Royals
· Ryan Garko, Cleveland Indians
· Russell Branyan, Seattle Mariners
So there are several ways for you to look at the questions. Who is the best today? Who would you start a team with? Who will be the best over the next five years? Likely three of these players will make the All-Star game and a couple will be snubbed. Who goes? Is Justin Morneau an obvious choice for any of the answers, or is that a bias of mine as a Twins fan? There are several ways to look at it, so let’s discuss.